Thursday, February 02, 2006

that perfect first post

And here we have it… my first post.

This whole past week, I've been thinking hard about starting this blog. I thought about what I wanted to say. I thought about what blogs I wanted to imitate. I thought about the audience I was trying to reach. I thought about putting together a dozen posts before launch so that I might hit the ground running. The more I prepared, it seemed, the more things I was adding to the list before I left the Shire.

And then I realized – what the hell was I doing? Was it my ultimate goal to prepare to start a blog, or actually start one? That was it – enough horsing around. Two minutes later and here I am. The water may be cold and I might not be sure what I’m doing, but I’m in there.

When it comes down to it, there comes a time in life when you have to ask yourself what kind of person you are. Are you a person who prepares for things? or a person who does them? We might tell ourselves we have high hopes and grand plans, but we all know that far too often these plans don't amount to a thing. Far too many of us (myself included) build up the future, pretending it will be great, preparing for its arrival... and it never comes. Why? Because we forgot to go and make it happen. The wind has died, the ship has sailed.

If one way to start a blog is to prepare for that perfect first post, the second way to start a blog is to actually do the thing. And so, here it is. The first post I dreamt of for so long. And with 100% sincerity, I can tell you that its everything I hoped for and more.

Come back soon. I expected I'd be able to tell you exactly what you'll be able to find in future posts, but I honestly have no idea. That’s an adventure we're on together.

No comments: